Monday 3 September 2012

Personal Knowledge Manamement

PKM:
Personal knowledge management is the collection of processes through the individual personal ability to gather, store, organize, review and share the acquired knowledge within the domain of his/her daily activities.
Below is personal knowledge management cycle:


Every one of us has experience to tell in his lifetime either as educator, medical practitioner, engineer, or knowledge as stories, memories, and cultures. We also have baggage and displayed books, journal articles, workshop manuals, greetings cards, photographs and so on in our libraries. Our computers are also full with uncountable folders and files, stored and installed software’s. our hand phones are accumulated with huge amount of information including names, numbers, addresses and emails of different people across different race, tribe, ethnicity, cultural social and religious background. Despite of all these information and knowledge surrounding us each one of us has a unique way on how he/she blends his/her personal experience.
Personal Knowledge management is simply knowing what we have and how we organize it, utilize it in order to achieve our desired goals as well as connecting same knowledge to others who might need it to accomplishing their tasks.
Having all these sources of knowledge surrounding us, interacting with all time, we have accumulated a wealth of incredible knowledge base, even though we do not use all of it concurrently or control the whole of it, it tends to be indeterminable in size and volume. However the most important and beneficial knowledge is the managed knowledge. Knowledge that is known to have known, known how to be used, and known who to use it.

Personal Knowledge Management (Personal Experience)
I did my first Degree in Computer Science, immediately after my graduation i was employed as a lecturer in an institution of higher learning in my country. It has never been my dream to teach, i do not have any teaching qualification to manage my teaching as well as the learners. In an attempt to manage my personal knowledge i took the following measures.

1. Reflection (Knowing what you know):
Henceforth i began to think on how my lecturers thought me, emerging those who thought me efficiently and those who were lacking the skills, trying to recall how they do and emerging how they fell. That gave me courage on how to start. The beginning was horrible but later i adjusted and fits to the learners needs to some extent.

2. Organizational Skills (Knowing how to get what you know):
I admitted that i don't really have the teaching qualification and i cannot perfectly teach without having the require teaching skills, i therefore register for Teachers Technical Certificate (TTC) programme which streamline objectively the skills needed for a teacher to teach. The programme was held in my institution.

3. Networking with others (Knowing who know):
During the course, i found out that the best lecturer who thought research methodology was the then chairmen of ICT development when i was the supervisor of ICT centers in the institution. I immediately grasp the opportunity and created a good relationship with him coupled with the fact that he was IT bias he needed me somewhere and i was kin to learn the teaching skills. I finally chooses him to be my project supervisor. I really learned from him and henceforth he remain my mentor because he always review my papers before presentation or publication.

4. Manage Learning (Knowing where you know):
Realizing from the fact that i was not in education line (discipline) i have little or no idea about the skills required to administer an effective teaching and manage learner, i made that lecture to be my adviser in relation to research issues and even some personal development issues. I met him any time anywhere and discuss academic issues.

5. Information Literacy (Knowing how to use what you know): 
After completing the course i felt i was complete, it gave me lot of courage, i could manage my teaching and my student despite the fact that the institution is one of the two types in the whole country where the audience comprises only female (difficult to manage).


   


No comments:

Post a Comment